Friday, July 20, 2012

The Merchant of Venice

Yesterday I wandered around the city and found my way to the original Blackwell's Bookstore. It was started here in Oxford as a family run business and has now become one of the largest, best known bookstores in the world. Needless to say I couldn't help but buy a book! Other than the bookstore I walked by several of the other colleges and just admired all the architecture. There truly is nothing like these buildings back home and I want to try and see as much of it as I can before I have to leave. Everything is so old and beautiful, some buildings have been here for longer than the United States has existed! That's just so crazy to think about.

Last night we took a big group picture of the Nebraska at Oxford class of 2012. Dean Plowman made it to Oxford in time for the picture and then ate dinner with everyone. She is so interested in everything that we are doing and has been extremely fun to have here. After dinner we made our way to a play. I was honestly a little nervous for the play since it's was written by Shakespeare, but I had no reason to be since "The Merchant of Venice" was fabulous! We sat in a big outdoor amphitheater and laughed throughout the entire thing. From the venue to the actors it was just wonderful and I think everyone who went felt the same way.

Today we're going to experience a traditional high tea. I've been told that it's quite the event so I can't wait to see for myself. I also had the pleasure of eating my first authentic plate of fish and chips at lunch! I'm generally not a big fish eater, but I could probably eat fish and chips all the time it was so good. It looks like I'll need to take my camera to meals from now on because not only is our food delicious but the presentation never ceases to surprise me. It makes me wonder if this is what meals are like for Oxford students throughout the year or if it's just for summer events that they work so hard. If it turns out that these are typical meals for students I'm going to be very jealous.

Until I can post about my high tea experience here are a few pictures to look at. The second is the backside of the church I believe, the third is the original Blackwell Bookstore, and the last is of Dean Plowman and I following our group photo.





1 comment: